Finally, I had some time to finish this project. I have chosen ARB CKMA12 High-Output Air Compressor model for my on-board air compressor. Unit comes with full wiring harness, mounting hardware, pressure limit switch and detailed instructions.
Although this model is compact and highly configurable, it was still a challenge to find a spot to mount it under the hood of the Ram 3500. I found just big enough space behind the driver side headlight. Here is step by step instructions;
1. Remove these two bolts
2. Pull the plastic cap in the wheel house to reach and remove the 3rd bolt.
3. With a soft tissue wrapped flat tool give a little nudge to pop the headlight out.
4. Remove the harnesses going into the headlight.
This is the bar where I am going to mount the compressor. To give myself more room to work, especially for drilling, I decided to remove the windshield washer reservoir and the big air hose.
5. This is first of 2 bolts that hold the reservoir.
6. This is the second bolt. After detaching the sensor cables, just lift the reservoir and lay it down to the left.
7. Loosen the clamps on both end of the hose and remove it out of the way.
8. Use the metal base plate that comes with ARB Compressor as a guide to drill the holes.
10. Attach the air filter and the pressure sensor. Use generous amount of orange teflon tape.
The bar I am going to mount the compressor is 2” thick. I am using 2.5” bolts, self locking nuts, locking washers and plastic washers. I have primed and painted the base plate black to prevent corrosion.
11. After removing the 4 bolts that holds the compressor (yellow arrows), I mounted the base plate and mounting bracket to the bar. I used plastic washers to dampen the vibration and the noise.
12. Attach the compressor body to the mounting bracket.
13. Attach the ARB cable harness to the compressor. I used 1/2 inch split loom to protect the cables.
Project Difficulty Rating Easy Medium Hard
Project Shopping List
- ARB CKMA12 High-Output Air Compressor
- 2.5″ Hex Head Bolts (4)
- Self Locking Nuts (4)
- Flat Washers (4)
- Plastic Washers (4)
- 1/4″ 150 PSI Air Tube
- ⅛ Male to ¼ Compression Adaptor
- Orange Teflon Tape
- Rust Oleum Primer
- Rust Oleum Flat Black Paint
- Nylon Cable Ties
- Electrical Tape
- Split Loom