After installing ARB On-board Air Compressor last week, I needed to put its switch somewhere on the dashboard. ARB uses V-Series : Contura rocker switches made by Carling Technologies. They are plenty different colors, legends and mounting panels for them available on the market. I decided to use Daystar KU80011 20 Amp Blue Light Rocker Switch Kit and modular Rugged Ridge 17235.20 Black Rocker Switch Housing Kit possible future expansion.
I have decided to install the switches on the under dash knee kick panel. Here is step by step instructions;
1. After removing the knee kick panel and measuring twice, I drilled the corners of the area where the housing will be placed.
2. Using Dremel Tool I cut the opening. Note to self, never use 0.5 mm pencil to mark. It scratches the surface.
3. I am tapping into headlight/dimmer switch output (orange with brown stripe) to get positive current.
4. It is the second wire between the orange with black stripe and the white with yellow stripe wires.
5. When dimmer is turned down all the way, Multimeter reads 2.4 V.
6. When dimmer is turned up all the way, Multimeter reads 11.4 V.
7. Install the Rugged Ridge 17235.20 Black Rocker Switch Housing Kit.
8. Install the Daystar KU80011 20 Amp Blue Light Rocker Switch Kit.
9. Prepare the area behind the kick panel. Here is the opening before I used Dremel Tool to enlarge it.
10. Here is the area after the cut.
11. Final product.
Project Difficulty Rating Easy Medium Hard
Project Shopping List
- Daystar KU80011 20 Amp Blue Light Rocker Switch Kit
- Rugged Ridge 17235.20 Black Rocker Switch Housing Kit
- Split Loom
- Wire Connectors
- Nylon Cable Ties
- Electrical Tape
- 16-Gauge Primary Wire